[rescue] Sun SpeakerBox Docs

Janet Campbell janet at foonly.com
Sun Jun 18 16:45:33 CDT 2006

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006, Don Y wrote:

> I want to *almost* use it as intended but without having to stick
> to Sun's I/F -- though I may not have any choice, there (due to
> their choice of components).  But, I want/need to know how
> many of the "controls"/indicators are independant vs. hardwired,
> etc.  (e.g., the power indicator, etc.)

I'm pretty sure that all of the controls and indicators go through the
bus to the host, including the power light.

The CHI bus was pretty neat at the time - in theory you could string up to
four devices along it, and have mostly-independant codecs handling their
own sound streams.  I don't think that Sun ever added support for more
than one, though - the LX had an onboard codec and could use the
speakerbox one if it was plugged in, but didn't use both simultaneously.

There's enough documentation on the bus to use it if you really want to,
given a sync parallel bus to interface with - it'd likely be a first-class
pain, though.

-Janet