[rescue] Sun SpeakerBox Docs

Janet Campbell janet at foonly.com
Sun Jun 18 03:42:23 CDT 2006

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Don Y wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to repurpose some speakerboxes.  I'm curious
> if anyone has any *detailed* information on the guts
> thereof.

How detailed is detailed?

It's got an onboard CS4215, with a 2-bit parallel synchronous CHI
interface over four wires (clock, frame sync, data in and out) and a dinky
amplifier and speaker.  It gets thrown between master and slave mode
depending on if it's handling audio data or control data.  If you're
planning to interface to the CS4215, CS pub number DS76PP5 has the
information you need.

If you just want to gut it and use it as a dumb amplified speaker...it's a
hassle.  Volume and output selection (speaker vs headphones vs mute) is
all set through the CHI bus (with interaction from the host) and while you
might find a way to hardwire the amplifier to a specific volume and output
device, you couldn't really use any of the controls.

Does this help?

-Janet