[rescue] Blade 100

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 16:05:39 CDT 2006

On 6/13/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

>  - the system was booted before Nadine saw it ;^)

Sounds like my Pismo (G3) running 10.3. :-)

> Honestly, if I were looking for another box (and I'm not, I'm actually looking for about
> 10 less boxes ;^)

Party at Lionel's house!

> I'd guess that for me the priorities in a desktop are:
>
>  - memory
>  - disk subsystem
>  - CPU cache
>  - speed of graphics
>  - CPU speed

I think for a *nix desktop, that's pretty much true across the board.
On Macs, I might swap CPU cache vs. graphics, depending on *nix geek
apps vs. Photoshop et&, but yeah, RAM is at the top of the list in my
book, followed by disks.  Disks are especially important if you are
thinking of:

video/audio processing (be it Photoshop swap file or DVD ripping)
compiling big applications, or doing optimized compiles for things
like KDE or Xorg
using network filesharing capabilities of the box

I believe the biggest complaints about "slowness" of both OS X (and to
some extent, Solaris) have to do with not optimizing the disk
subsystem for the application at hand.  A lot of folks went from
G3+SCSI under OS 9 to OS X running on IDE + external IEEE 1394 (on IDE
disks)--no wonder they were complaining.

=Nadine=