[rescue] Sun Blade 100, SGI and Lombard advice needed

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Thu Jun 8 18:02:43 CDT 2006

Thu, 08 Jun 2006 @ 00:22 -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke said:

> On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Paxton  wrote:
>
> > In my hunt through surplus stores I discovered a Sun Blade 100 at
> > $100. Is it worth it?
>
> No.  It's more-or-less an Ultra 5, with all the depressive performance
> that implies.  There are people on this list that are -throwing away-
> Ultra 2 and Ultra 30 systems, which are -much- snappier.

If anyone would like to throw away a U2 with 300MHz CPUs or better,
please let me know before you do.

> I think I -built- a Pismo for about that in 2002.  It might've been as
> high as $400 (splurged on disk and Airpor), but a Lombard is a pretty
> limited machine unless you like MacOS 9.x.

Yesterday I was looking at Mac system prices, and the price is indeed
falling.

I would encourage anyone who is looking for one to shop carefully.

For example:

	- G3/300 and 4xx systems are going for $80 each
	- G4 systems are going for $200-600, the high end
	  being dual 800MHz systems and that sort of thing

I saw good laptops going for $200.

Hate to see the Intel thing happen, but then again, maybe I can finally
get an OS/X machine up and running soon.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The strength of the Constitution lies
entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it.  Only if every