[rescue] Supported CPU speeds on Ultra 2 motherboards (was: Blade 100, ...)

Ahmed Ewing aewing at townisp.com
Thu Jun 8 16:25:15 CDT 2006

On Jun 8, 2006, at 1:59 PM, Arthur Wouk wrote:

> re: the following: it anyone is throwing out either an ultra-2 capable
> of having faster than 300mhz cpus (i have the older mother board and
> can't go up) or an ultra 30 capable of faster processors, just send me
> one. i'll pay the shipping and packing. no tower machines, though.
>
> put rescue in the Subject line, please, for my procmail filters.

I don't know that any of the 300MHz-capable boards *can't* do 400MHz.
IIRC, only the really old 501-2487 motherboard was limited to 200MHz
(there's no frequency select jumper between CPU0 and the SBus
connectors at all), and any rev of 501-3132 should be able to do 300MHz
or 400MHz.

What might not be immediately clear from the silkscreening for the
jumpers (again, IIRC... haven't been wrist-deep in a U2 in a few years)
is that you need to jumper the box as if it were a 200MHz CPU for the
400MHz to work. This is due to the required bus speed multipliers for
the CPU.

Hope that helps...

-A