[rescue] OT: Maintaining list threading

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 14:36:47 CDT 2006

On 6/5/06, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
> " From: Michael Parson <mparson at bl.org>
> "
> " []
> "
> " Secondly, I know that the mh mailer has a 'burst' function for dealing
> " with digested lists.  It basically 'bursts' the digest into the
> " individual messages so they can more easily be dealt with inside the
> " mailer.  The only similar tool I've found for the Mac is "Digest Viewer"
> " and it seems to not only not be available any more, but for "Classic"
> " (pre OS-X) only.
>
> procmail can do it too, but i can't imagine a clever way to run it in
> this situation.

You need fetchmail (if you need to fetch mail from a remote server; if
it's delivered local, you won't need this), procmail, and formail.
Here's a snippet from my .procmail for a list that I used to be on:
# basic set up of procmail
# debugging on/off
VERBOSE=OFF
#
# set your path
PATH=/usr/sbin/:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
HOME=/home/nmiller
#
# mail dir location (saved mail)
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail
# procmail files dir
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
#
# administrative folder
ADMINFOLDER=$MAILDIR/admin
LOGFILE=$PMDIR/log
#
# saves the last 32 messages so if something breaks
# it won't lose mail; has to be at the top
:0 c
backup

# explode a digested list
# vworlds mailing list--expand it out and save it
:0:
* ^TOvworlds-biz
# pipe to formail >> mail_folder
| formail +1 -ds >>vworlds

I would suggest reading over the man pages for procmail and formail to
get a better idea of all the things they can do.

Regards--
=Nadine=