[rescue] Wanted - Lantronix or other "serial server"

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Jun 2 14:08:46 CDT 2006

>From: Ethan O'Toole <ethan at 757tech.net>
>Date: Thu Jun 01 13:16:37 CDT 2006
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Wanted - Lantronix or other "serial server"

>> I've been using the Digi stuff lately.
>
>Does Digi make a single port unit?
>
>I used to admin a porterver II, but in this case I'm looking for something
>tiny that just handles a single port. POE isn't needed either.

Just to throw it out there, if you are running Cat5 from all the random points of interest to a central switch (with no intermediaryswitches/hubs), a PortMaster with a hand full of RJ-45 adapters on either end might suffice...

I understand this may be an application where the need to be on accessible local nets with routers/switches between points of interest, but I just wanted to mention that you can run RS-232 signals quite far over Cat5 wiring...

Lionel