[rescue] Bulk Eraser suggestions?

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Tue Jul 25 12:02:35 CDT 2006

Bill Bradford wrote:
> I need to, as cheaply as possible, borrow/rent/buy a bulk eraser that will
> handle (few hundred) 8mm DAT and (20-30) DLT-III tapes, letting us
> get them done in an afternoon (e.g., continuous duty cycle).

Hmmm... I have a handheld unit that works quite well
(about half the height of a 28oz can of tomato puree).
DLT, VHS, QIC, other "cartridge tapes" just take a few
seconds to "wipe" clean.

But, this has a 2 min on, 5 min off duty cycle so you
could probably only do 30 tapes every 7 or 8 minutes.

you also have to take care not to apply/remove power
while *near* media.