[rescue] UNIX packaging

Doug McLaren dougmc+sunhelp at frenzy.com
Tue Feb 28 16:51:18 CST 2006

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 02:46:48PM -0700, Barry Keeney wrote:

|   I use "/usr/local/packages/<software & version>" and creating
| symbolic links from "/usr/local/(bin,lib,man, etc)/<file>" to
| "packages/<software & version>/(bin,lib,man, etc)/<file>"
|   I'm not going to say it's the best way to handle this,
| but I like it.
|
|   If someone has a better idea, I'd like to here it. I'm
| open to new ideas for doing this.

I do the same thing.  But I let stow take care of it for me --

   http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/stow.html

It's extremely simple and it works.  Another similar package is
`depot', but it needs to keep a database of what you've got installed
-- so it loses much of the KISS factor.

Doug McLaren, dougmc at frenzy.com
People don't usually make the same mistake twice -- they make it three
times, four time, five times...