[rescue] UNIX packaging

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 13:52:44 CST 2006

On 2/28/06, Nick B. <nick at pelagiris.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 01:36:10PM -0500, Kevin Loch wrote:
> > Diddn't /opt die a quick and violent death?  Surely people aren't
> > still using that?
> > - Kevin
> Hah.  That's a joke right?  About half the comercial software I'm familiar
with
> installs itself in /opt, for reasons I've never been able to understand.
>         Nick

In very large sites which use *nix internally and have no qualms
about NFS, this can be a Good Thing<tm>.

You build your /usr/local on NASes with some appropriate script-
foo to put the NFS pointer on the local machines, and the correct
/usr/local appears on each box.  Tools folk only have to build
once and push to however many NASes are required.  It's pretty
scalable.

/opt remains for any 3rd party app running on the box that
happens to be too sensitive to potential NFS "lag" for it to go in
/usr/local (vxvm, vxfs, web server, etc).

=Nadine=