[rescue] Secure Sun wipe utility?

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Feb 21 20:07:32 CST 2006

On Feb 21, 2006, at 7:45 PM, Bryan Gurney wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 20:32:36 -0500, Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com>
> wrote:
>
>>> Agreed on not ditching ten HDDs in an E450.  So is this box going to
>>> run
>>> ZFS?
>>
>> Don't know yet.  I may put OpenBSd on it then stick it on the web
>> directly as a webserver/file server for a domain I've been sitting on
>> for years.
>>
>> But that might be a little excessive. ;-)
>
> Well, the ten 9/18 GB drives part makes it sound a little excessive
> for a
> webserver, and keep in mind that you're running ten OLD hard drives,
> so a
> failure would most likely come sooner than it would for newer drives.
> Keep this in mind when setting up arrays; as tempting as it'd be to
> RAID 5
> the same-sized drives, you might end up in a bind when one disk
> fails...
> or two.

As long as I can fit them I'll probably start saving for some cheap
1.6" drives of fairly large capacity but not any time soon.
(The cage prevents me from putting 20 - 1.6" drives in there but I can
put 10.)

If I could find a box of 20 - 18+gig, 1" drives I'd jump in a heartbeat
on them.  (Provided I have the cash. ;-)

As for configuration - if they are above 30gig I'll probably do 0+1
(stripe+mirror?) instead of RAID 5.  Though RAID 5 mirrored would be
cool too. ^_^

> What are the CPU and RAM specs?  The E450 is a rather good box (for its
> time) when decked out, and having two SCSI controllers means you can
> also
> better separate the OS from the data.

It's only got 256M and a 300 in it but I plan to change that
drastically over the next couple of months. ;->

Mike Hebel
----
A choice between two things. The forked road, a crossroad are an end
given life must take in order to stay alive. Whichever end they live
on, they lose something. Whichever end they live on, they are unable to
find happiness, but are there really only two paths to a forked road?
No, there are infinite paths we must take. There is more than one path.
There is more than one path to the future.- Vash