[rescue] Secure Sun wipe utility?

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Tue Feb 21 14:21:13 CST 2006

Heisenberg's cat coughed up a hairball from... Dan Duncan
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2006, Mike Hebel wrote:
>> I'm rescuing an E450 from $work and I'd like to wipe the drive at least
>> DOD standards.
> <snip>
>> What's everybody else use?  Any suggestions?
>
> One suggestion:
> Have someone else wipe the drive.
>
> Since you're the one rescuing it, having you define the wipe process
> and/or actually wipe it is sort of pointless, isn't it?

True.  But I'm also having someone sign off on a confirmation that the
data is gone.  I've showed him the wipe process I've chosen for now and
the company is ok with that - and he knows enough Solaris to know what I'm
doing.  As long as the machine has no data on it when I leave they don't
care.

I was honestly looking for something I could do when I get it home.

And if someone truly makes an issue of it I still have paperwork with the
drive serial numbers and I can bring them all back into the building again
for disposal.

Mike
----
You are trapped in a maze of twisty corporate suits. All the same...