[rescue] Sun Blade 100: RESEND

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Wed Feb 8 12:23:04 CST 2006

At Wednesday, February 08, 2006 5:22 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>> From: Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com>

>> Hi.  I'm trying install NetBSD/sparc64 3.0 on a Sun Blade 100 I just
>> got (thanks Gary).  I got it to talk to a serial terminal, but when
>> I try to boot from the NetBSD CD-ROM (ok boot cdrom), I get the
>> error:
>>
>> Cannot read disk label.
>> Cannot open disk label package.
>>
>> Cannot open boot device.
>>
>> The first time, I burned the CD using IBM Recordnow!  Thinking that
>> it might have been causing the problem, I tried again using Nero
>> disc-at-once mode.

Unfortunately, I've seen this problem all too often. I've even had the
fun experience of burning a disk and having it boot on one machine, but
not another -- even when both were using the same model of CD-ROM drive.

> Have you confirmed your burn process by downlaoding and burning a
> different bootable ISO file (Say, Solaris 1 of 4 disc?) That will
> eliminate your software compatibility questions... And confirm that
> the CD or DVD-ROM drive is, in fact, bootable.

> Never installed NetBSD on a SPARC or UltraSPARC, but my presumption
> is that if there were a problem with the ISO file, the community
> would have fixed it quickly...

There's not a problem with the file per se, but I've noted in the past
there's something about how it's formatted that makes it damn touchy
regarding the combination of burner, burning software, and reading
drive.

You would think the Blades would have a more forgiving CD-ROM drive, but
the last one I worked on made me jump through some serious hoops to get
the Solaris 9 images burned in a format it would take. My problem ended
up being the media -- I had to find some of the older CD-R media that
was only 650MB and only worked in 4x burners.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
Homepage: http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/