[rescue] NeWS (Win32 Administratve Privileges)

Kevin kevin at pipeline.com
Sat Feb 4 16:43:29 CST 2006

While i dislike all post NT 3.5.1 Win32 platforms, it is the
general quality level of Win32 software that makes it such a
PITA.  Every platform has crap software, but Win32 stuff often
comes from "programmers" who couldn't even install the Windows.

A LARGE number of very common Win32 apps will not run correctly
or at all if the user is not logged in with administrative
privileges.  Trust me, i've tried to implement this for years
with very little success.

QuickBooks Pro for example (of which we have 20+ licenses at
work). What the HELL does a QuickBooks user need admin access
for? I don't know, but QB will quickly let you know that it needs
it if you start it up from an account that lacks such control.

Win32 came from a single user design and it's still painfully
obvious today.  If i could easily allow users to run under
restricted accounts, my life dealing with Win32 would still suck,
but it certainly would suck less.

/KRM

--
/~\ The ASCII