[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Wed Dec 27 13:06:45 CST 2006

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 11:12:57AM -0500, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> It took me 43 minutes to build irssi and my Ultra 1 was busy at the
> time, and this is a new install with few other packages built.

Indeed. I compile software all the time on my 200Mhz US-I U2 and it doesn't
take anywhere near as long as 3 hours for fairly complex software like
postfix and dovecot.

Some suggestions for the OP:
- make sure your filesystems are mounted with softdeps enabled
- pass -pipe to gcc (put "COPTS+=-pipe" in /etc/mk.conf) - it prevents gcc
  creating unnecessary temporary files on disk, speeding up compilation
- make sure you have enough RAM - 64-bit LP systems _love_ RAM

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://mjturner.net/
mj at turner.org.za    | Open Source in WC ZA - http://www.clug.org.za/