[rescue] Making Solaris 10 boot after the boot device haschanged

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 15:06:22 CST 2006

On 12/26/06, Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Dec 2006, velociraptor wrote:
>
> > I ended up booting from the media, mounting the root slice under /a,
> > then used either cp or cpio to copy everything from /dev* to the root
> > disk.  I'm pretty sure I used find with cpio since cp is does weird
> > stuff with hard links and is finicky about soft links if you don't get
> > the flags right.  E.g. find {some expression} | cpio -pdumv
> > {destination}
>
> I've also done this, but used a chrooted devfsadm, IIRC.

Oh, *very* good call on that Jonathan.  My "oopsie" was pre-devfsadm,
when the predecessor tools did not always work as well as one would
have liked.  Not that I'd have thought of chrooting at that point
either, since I'd never worked in a chrooted environment until my
first Gentoo builds some years later.

=Nadine=