[rescue] Sun Ultra 5 and USB keyboard/mouse

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Dec 20 10:18:27 CST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 02:29:28PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> Is there any way to use a USB keyboard and mouse on an Ultra 5?
> What would be acceptable would be to have it work under X, even
> better would be to have openboot use it and/or solaris use it as
> the console.

I've put a $20 generic CompUSA-store-brand PCI USB controller into an
Ultra 60 and been able to use the keyboard/mouse under X with Solaris
10, but you won't be able to use that keyboard/mouse under OBP.

Pretty much any of the "generic reference design" 2 or 4-port cards
should work w/Solaris 10.

This $12 card worked fine in my Solaris x86 box; I'd guess it will
work fine in a SPARC as well:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=520868

Sun has a list online of "certified" USB controllers, I'll see if
I can dig up the link.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford