[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Yuri K apdxyk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 19:41:19 CST 2006

Hi again.

Thank you for the links and kind offers.

If anybody has 128 MB RAM sticks for it to throw away I am in Portland, OR area

At this point I don't know much of a difference between U this and U
that and don't want to pile up mountains of something I am clueless
in. I have installed Solaris 9 several times by now even managed to
set up a time server on it which should help my clueless 2003 server
on the same  segment. Iwill try to master a unix name server next.  I
think I will concentrate on learning rudimentary unix command line
utilities and hardware features like ports, firmware interface, etc.
Do I need to update the firmware? So far everything seems to be OK.
The build quality and ease of access reminds me the older Apple
products from my limited exposure to computers. I may also need some
prompting and corrective actions on the lingo; I noticed that
"framebuffer" in this world is like "Daimler" in certain circles -
only sissies and clueless civilians from far away would use words like
"videocard" or "Mercedes"  depending where you are. So, correct me
right away please since the talk is a part of the walk. Thank you
again for all the help on and off the list.

Merry Xmas, Yuri