[rescue] playing with the new E250 ... disk performance vs. old PeeCee

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Dec 19 16:40:04 CST 2006

Solaris 10 hates me.  This is my second DVD, different media, burned
from a fresh download with good md5sums and burned from a completely
different workstation/burner.

Identical result.

{0} ok boot cdrom
Boot device: /pci at 1f,4000/scsi at 3/disk at 6,0:f  File and args:
Bad magic number in disk label
Can't open disk label package

Can't open boot device

{0} ok

Popping the DVD into another workstation, it looks to be correct.

Google has helped me to find some other problems (like burning the .iso
file onto the DVD media as a file instead of as an image)

I am finding anecdotal evidence that the DVD-ROM drives in many Sun
boxes can boot fine from CD-R but not from DVD[-|+]R.  Has this been
your experience as well?