[rescue] Ultra 1 newbie q'ns

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Tue Dec 19 16:24:30 CST 2006

Joshua Boyd wrote:

> That would be sweat.  Just last year I paid $250 for a E250.  This year
> I've already paid $100 for a U5 (but one with maxed CPU and RAM).

Prices a dropping like a brick.

Just last week I gave away 3x Ultra 10's (it was whatever 400-ishMHz
processor was in the U10) to co-workers who want to learn Solaris.  At
least one of the boxes was a Creator 3D.

It's nice because these are the boxes I was root on earlier in my UNIX
career but was never allowed to "learn" on.  So my Solaris experience
was pretty negligible despite all the Sun boxes I was responsible for.
Now I can finally afford to have some of that same hardware from the dot
com boom and not worry about breaking some production app.  :)