[rescue] scrapping some old Proliants

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 15:13:29 CST 2006

On 12/18/06, Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com> wrote:
> Thus spake Lionel Peterson:
> > Mr. Bill provided a link back into the Sun Manager archive that outlined
> > how to set this up very easily, I could provide the link if anyone is
> > interested (it is printed out downstairs, next to the Ultra 5 for
> > reference). This is an "install server" not a "Jumpstart server" - it just
> > has the machine go through a "normal" install with the software being
> > loaded over the network...
>
> I would definitely be interested in this.  That would mean I could in
> theory add the DVD to the U10 I have which is IDE then use that to install
> the E450, the Netra i150, and the Netra 105.

The network overlords at $gov_agency-1 refused to let us run tftpd on
the network, so this is how we did our installs.  You can just do a
Jumpstart-type set up of the "install server" to get the images on
there (this allows you to build custom profiles and/or begin & end
scripts) or you can do it other ways (using images or flars, served
over nfs, ftp, or even http).

You boot off of an install CD rather than a netboot image.  Pretty
straightforward but not 100% automated as with Jumpstart+rarpd+tftpd
(and Jumpstart can use flars to speed things up further).

=Nadine=