[rescue] scrapping some old Proliants

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Dec 18 10:27:21 CST 2006

>From: Mike Hebel <nimitz at nimitzbrood.com>
>Date: 2006/12/18 Mon AM 09:29:26 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] scrapping some old Proliants

<snip>

>I was seriously considering this to add a DVD drive to my E450 so it's
>good to know someone has tried it.  Thanks!

Just a question, but what about just getting ONE DVD-ROM player and putting it in an external case, thus sharing it with all machines?

Or, on some of the newer machines, I wonder if a USB DVD-ROM drive would work - anyone ever try something like that?

Finally, I have an Ultra 5 with an IDE DVD-ROM drive installed, along with a 100 Gig IDE HD that acts as my network installation server. I just "add_install_client" on the server and then "boot net - install" on the machine I want to install on, and proceed through a normal install routine in no time.

Mr. Bill provided a link back into the Sun Manager archive that outlined how to set this up very easily, I could provide the link if anyone is interested (it is printed out downstairs, next to the Ultra 5 for reference). This is an "install server" not a "Jumpstart server" - it just has the machine go through a "normal" install with the software being loaded over the network...

I have a few Ultra 5 and 10s available, if anyone is interested just drop me a note off-list...

Lionel