[rescue] A not-so-excellent Internet Adventure

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Sun Dec 17 23:29:58 CST 2006

Thanks, Shel, for reminding me just how thankful I am to not be in the ISP
business anymore! :-)  Heh.

Not sure if it was weather related, since Oregon didn't seem to get
clobbered as badly - we only had 250,000 people without power - but a
short distance from $WORK, in Beaverton OR, a 250KV transformer at a
fairly large substation _exploded_ on Saturday night, sending a fireball
"500 feet into the air, according to witnesses."  The news helicopter
footage was pretty dramatic - a huge black circle surrounded by lights,
with a raging fire in the middle of it.  Yowsa.  All they could do was let
it burn itself out, since apparently there was a 10,000 gallon fuel tank
sitting nearby...

I suppose I should call in and see if our building was affected. Not that
I'm all that concerned about the corporate datacenter - I manage the
"production systems" which are downtown, and I figure _someone_ would have
called if they needed my help with anything.  Damn, I have developed such
a bad attitude in my old age. :-)  I'm secretly hoping that the power is
still out tomorrow a.m. so we can all have a day off.  <gazes at my
despair.com "Dare to Slack" demotivational poster>

-- Chris