[rescue] playing with the new E250 ... disk performance vs. old PeeCee

Bryan Gurney arb_npx42 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 17 12:47:56 CST 2006

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:35:04 -0500, Lionel Peterson
<lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:

>> From: Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com>
>> Date: 2006/12/16 Sat PM 05:25:02 CST
>> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>> Subject: Re: [rescue] playing with the new E250 ... disk performance
>> vs. old PeeCee
>
>> I wrote:
>>> Looks more like it maxes out at 20MB/sec.
>>

>> Just to answer my own question, http://www.e250.net/ says of the E250:
>> "One 40MB/sec, 68-pin,Ultra SCSI (SCSI-3), 2 channels (synchronous)"
>>
>> So my bottleneck is elsewhere.
>
> The E250 is just really an Ultra 2 in a different box (of course it is
> PCI not SBUS, and can't take a UPA framebuffer (vertical or horizontal).
>
> I like the E250 (mainly for the 6x SCSI trays), but they are not the be
> all/end all servers for their size...
>
> Lionel

Agreed; most of the Suns that are being rescued are from the 1996-1999
range, where the fastest SCSI bus performance you can get is 40 MB/sec.
Not until the servers (particularly the V240) do you see the SCSI bus
start getting up to 80 or 160.

My fastest rescued system is a U60 that has two 73 GB 10K Cheetahs that
can run Ultra 320, but they're going to be on a 40 MB/sec bus.  Not bad if
you're just kicking around, but if you want performance of any kind
without having to pay the price of a newer Sun, your best bet is to give
up and go x86 Linux (or give Solaris 10 x86 a go).