[rescue] Sun enterprise 10000 stuff

Tonu Samuel tonu at jes.ee
Sun Dec 17 11:01:15 CST 2006

Hi!

Sorry I cannot reply to old topic as I just subscribed. I read through
archives and I hope you forgive me posting right after subscription.

This is me who has E10k at home in Estonia. Yes it was bought from ebay and
has nearly everything you might imagine. Full CPUs, mem and such. Most e10k-s
on sale have 8..12 CPUs or similar.

If someone wants to upgrade e10k them main problem is not memory ($4000 per
gig on Sun pricelist) and CPUs ($12000 for 400Mhz CPU in Sun) but board
itself. It costs $58,000 and you need extra $10,000 memory board to use
memory on it. While memory and CPUs are decently prices in ebay then e10k
boards are very rare and expensive. And notice - there is no replacement.
Just e10k boards go.

Meanwhile yes, e10k uses 13,5KW (never measured myself as my house has 20A
main fuse, i.e. around 5KW only.). But e10k can be run in pretty economic
way. It runs right now and wattmeter shows 1200W plus I have A5200 box with
disks and not counted in. e10k consumes some 10W only per board when they are
switched "off" from software. Not so bad. On E6500 they went down to 50% of
usual only.

Back to business. I am already thinking about writing some document "There is
a e10k in ebay, should I buy it?". So I write small FAQ here. I try to answer
all questions I have seen in archive of list.

--- Decision making support questions

Q: Can I make it work?