[rescue] 280R questions

Jack Delany jjdelany at daylight.com
Fri Dec 15 10:00:50 CST 2006

> Oh, right, Bill: those 280s were cousin to two of my 420s!
>
>   One 420 was so maltreated by a Sun FE (e.g., I found steel screw
> _mounts_ laying on the mobo that the guy had so over-torqued that they
> tore out of the memory riser's plastic body) to the point that they
> replaced, well, the insides, one piece at a time, over and over. It's
> still not "right in the head."
>
>   Another has been serviced so often that the purple "spoiler" on the
> front weakened because it was used as a handle too many times...and it
> came off in the hand of the last FE to touch it. (He half-turned to me
> and held it out silently. I didn't, couldn't, make eye contact; I just
> took the piece and tossed it on top of the rack. *sigh*)

I had no idea that we were so lucky...

We got a new 280R (dual 750s) in March of 2002.  Put it up as our
primary mail/web/ftp server for work.  Replaced it in August of this
year (with a x2100).  In 4.5 years, no problems or service, rebooted
it only a handful of times...

We're now using it as an internal test machine.

Clean living, I suppose ;)

Jack D.

Daylight Chemical Information Systems, Inc.   |  Jack Delany
441 Greg Ave.                                 |  505-989-1000 x205
Santa Fe, New Mexico  87501                   |  505-989-1200 (fax)
http://www.daylight.com/                      |  jjdelany at daylight.com