[rescue] 280R questions

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Dec 15 07:52:28 CST 2006

On Dec 15, 2006, at 4:08 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 12:50:23AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>> Last time I posted, someone mentioned "chip bugs" on the 750Mhz CPUs
>> found on the 280R and related Sun machines.
>> Were all or just some the 750Mhz CPUs buggy?  Which versions of the
>> USIII were "good" ?
>
> I had a pair of 280Rs with dual 750s.
> They were POSESSED.  CURSED.  I expected them to start spewing pea
> soup out the Ethernet ports.
>
> Sun Service replaced everything in them but the chassis metal/plastic,
> power supplies (which tested fine), and hard drives.  Some parts like
> RAM and CPUs were replaced MULTIPLE TIMES.

Ouch!  I am not going to get any from eBay then!

Would this be equivalent?  SPARC64 instead of the USIII:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujitsu-PrimePower-200-Server-SPARC64-Dual-700MHz
-4GB_W0QQitemZ280060177710QQihZ018QQcategoryZ106272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrd
Z1QQcmdZViewItem

> Ended up replacing them with a pair of 1.8Ghz P4 1U rackmount boxes
> running CentOS 3.  Other than a dead CPU heatsink fan, those boxes
> have had no problems.

Interestingly the performance of Asterisk on Solaris is supposed to be
much higher than on Linux.    Which is why I am examining this.

--P