[rescue] 280R questions

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Dec 15 03:08:27 CST 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 12:50:23AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> Last time I posted, someone mentioned "chip bugs" on the 750Mhz CPUs
> found on the 280R and related Sun machines.
> Were all or just some the 750Mhz CPUs buggy?  Which versions of the
> USIII were "good" ?

I had a pair of 280Rs with dual 750s.
They were POSESSED.  CURSED.  I expected them to start spewing pea
soup out the Ethernet ports.

Sun Service replaced everything in them but the chassis metal/plastic,
power supplies (which tested fine), and hard drives.  Some parts like
RAM and CPUs were replaced MULTIPLE TIMES.

They would STILL randomly panic, hang, reboot, etc.

I repeat, we replaced everything but the chassis, hard drives, and
power supplies, and they were still unstable as hell (this is after
2+ years of flawless operation).

Ended up replacing them with a pair of 1.8Ghz P4 1U rackmount boxes
running CentOS 3.  Other than a dead CPU heatsink fan, those boxes
have had no problems.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford