[rescue] rescued my new mail/web server tonight

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 01:10:15 CST 2006

> I got a similar machine at a surplus sale, minus the HDs - oddly, there were two HD sleds in the case w/o HDs installed...Mine cost me $5, but they helped me carry it out to my car ;^)

Well, if that was a certain NJ university, or any other
university/college or any gov't entity, you'll find similiar things.

If they guys are in a good mood, they'll pull the drives and leave the
sleds. More often then not, the whole sled assembly is gone. I got 3
XP1000s, all three were missing the entire drive cage assemblies.

If you are/become a regular there, you might speak to them about
becoming a genuine reseller, which will entail that you submit
documentation regarding your procedure for sanitizing drives. I did
this locally, by using DOD-compliant software, and its been a
blessing. Then again, most places will require you to form a contract,
which requires your own business liability insurance and a whole bunch
of approvals and paperwork.

-- Aaron