[rescue] Sun Netra = Ultra 2?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at tandem.artell.net
Sat Dec 9 12:53:11 CST 2006

Francois Dion reminds us ...

> In 1965, a Peugeot 404 convertible with a custom bubble top, using the
> 1.9L diesel engine from the sedan (only 68bhp) ended up breaking over
> 40 endurance and speed records, including sustaining an average of
> >100mph for 48 hours!

French cars have always been distinguished by that sort of thing.  Even the
big DS Citroens had relatively piddly engines, yet they could sustain
dam'good cross-country speeds.  You just had to forget anything you knew
about driving a car, and get used to the hydraulic gear-change, the
single-spoked steering wheel, the moldy-orange brake button, and all the
other ergonomic strangeness.  Great ride, though, and amazing ability to
maintain their momentum through the corners.

Peugeots haven't been imported into the USA in about 20 years, but I still
see them, especially 505s, on the roads here quite often.  Seeing a 404
here, though, would be a real event.  Plenty of Volvos of that age
hereabouts, and the very occasional Volkswagen, but all the other Euro-cars
of the pre-68 era seem to have left the roads here in the PNW of the USA.

-Shel