[rescue] Sun Netra = Ultra 2?

Arno Kletzander Arno_1983 at gmx.de
Fri Dec 8 06:50:10 CST 2006

mpickering at mindspring.com wrote:
> Some digging around found that the Ultra 2 workstation looks identical.
> I haven't been able to find any reference to a Netra machine in the same
> family.  I suspect Sun relabeled Ultra 2s without graphics as Netra for
> headless use.  Can anyone confirm or deny that the Netra workstation is
> an Ultra 2? I'd like to upgrade the memory and processors and hopefully
> Ultra 2 parts will fit.

Did you connect a terminal (emulation) to ttya and have a look at the power-up banner? I have a similarly "disguised" Ultra 1 which clearly identifies itself as such even though the name plate reads "Netra" (blue letters only).
BTW, as I also have the UPA "Creator 3D" - red dot - and standard sbus - green dot - varieties, I'm thinking about putting in matching power LEDs :-)

Awww...too cute... Can you still get that software or is it even present on the old installation media? What does one have to do to enable that feature, for the original feel? I had to have the hard drive in that box zeroed.

> Feel free to mark out the "Netra" logo with a Sharpie and throw a
> normal Solaris load on there.. its what everyone I know, did. 8-)

Mah...at least over here, those machines are a lot less abundant than the standard sort and I find them a good complement to a standard Ux, so you can tell "they also came under this name, and the differences were blah, blah...". I'd keep the logo intact for collectable value - realizing that your suggestion was probably made jokingly.

So long,

--
Arno Kletzander
Stud. Hilfskraft Informatik Sammlung Erlangen

Ideal f|r Modem und ISDN: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer