[rescue] Sun Netra = Ultra 2?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Thu Dec 7 18:01:09 CST 2006

>From: Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us>
>Date: 2006/12/07 Thu PM 02:33:45 CST
>To: rescue at sunhelp.org
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun Netra = Ultra 2?

>" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net>
>"
>" >From: mpickering at mindspring.com
>"
>" >I suspect a 2 x 300Mhz Ultra 2 with 1-2GB of RAM would be a decent little dual CPU system.
>"
>" Yes it would be, but if you are "stuck" with SBUS video, it will seem slow for a desktop machine (but quite useful as a solid headless server).
>
>doesn't the u2 have a upa slot?  creator cards aren't much by modern
>peecee standards but they're a beeg yump up from a tx4.

An Ultra 2 does, yes, but I wasn't sure if the Netra case allows for addition of a UPA framebuffer, which is why I phrased it "IF you are "stuck" with SBUS video" (emphasis added)...

With a Creator (anything), they are much more reasonable desktops...

I'm about to build up my bigger systems with XVR-700 (part of a $100 shipped U60 system) and an XVR-500 just bought on eBay for $55 yesterday - should make for nice desktops...

Lionel