[rescue] Anyone interested in a Sun E3000?

Magnus magnus at yonderway.com
Wed Dec 6 09:38:41 CST 2006

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> How would I go about burning an mkcd on my workstation from the server?
>   Use mkcd to create an image, transfer it over, and then burn it on the
> workstation?

With several pSeries 570's in my farm (with more coming) and several
pSeries 520 workstations (they call them servers but we use them like
workstations), and dozens of LPAR's, I don't think I've ever felt
constrained by lack of decent DVD writing capabilities on the pSeries
hardware.  I've got a Linux workstation on my desk with a decent
DVD-R+/- and burn everything from there.  If I need to build an .iso on
an LPAR, over gigabit ethernet it only takes a couple of minutes to ftp
the .iso to my workstation.  I rarely ever need to actually create an
.iso from the LPAR though.

Somewhat unrelated... I'm not a Gentoo fan but building Gentoo on the
bare iron of a brand new 570 is a fun process and an educational way to
do burn-in on new hardware.  Also nothing quite like seeing 16 POWER5
cores (2 hardware threads each) building giant apps from source in a few
seconds each.