[rescue] Sun Ultra 1 boot failure

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Dec 4 15:00:23 CST 2006

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 09:24:19PM +0200, Michael-John Turner wrote:
> Although it is NetBSD-specific, the details should translate to pretty much
> any Unix-like OS, and it covers booting NetBSD on pretty much all supported
> platforms. I've used those same instructions to boot NetBSD, OpenBSD, Linux
> and PeeCee DOS (!) from the same server. Haven't tried Solaris yet, but I'm
> sure it's doable.

It depends upon which operating system you are booting FROM. Of all
the UNIX derived systems Linux is IMHO the worst because no one includes
all of the daemons you need to accomplish it in their distrubution.

You can add them, and then it works, but the first time is a bear.

Besides the obvious TFTP and NFS, you need DHCP/Bootp/Bootparam/RARP
servers depending upon the OS you are booting and the machine you
are booting it on.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838