[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Dan Duncan dand at pcisys.net
Mon Dec 4 10:47:02 CST 2006

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Magnus wrote:
> Ah but what about one of the newfangled Niagra servers that sips gently
> from the electric meter?  Yes it costs much more up front but the
> savings in power (both to run it and to cool it) should recoup the
> difference in cost.

Acquisitions up front often come out of a different budget/different
department than paying the power bill.  Saving a pile of money buying
(or sticking with) an older piece of equipment when paying the power
bill is someone else's problem makes some sense.  If I still lived in
my old apartment where I didn't have to pay the electric bill I would
probably still be running a lot of the old equipment 24/7 instead of
some of the newer things I've replaced them with.

-DanD

# Westheimer's Discovery:  A couple of months in the laboratory can
# frequently save a couple of hours in the library.