[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Wesley W. Will wwill at siu.edu
Mon Dec 4 08:30:25 CST 2006

Aaron Finley wrote:
> On 12/3/06, Meelis Roos <mroos at linux.ee> wrote:
>>> I'll start reassembling on Monday, we'll see how it goes. Any advice on
>>> setting up a "new" E10K would be greatly appreciated, since we're
>>> starting from blank disks, and we don't have access to the Sun
>>> documentation.
>> http://no.spam.ee/~tonu/sparc/Sun-Enterprise-10000-StarFire-at-home/
>

> Makes me want to buy another one for $15:
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/Sun-Ultra-Enterprise-10000-Server-Fully-Loaded_W0QQitemZ290051810751QQihZ019QQcategoryZ51239QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>
> -- Aaron

with 450 bucks shipping, it's going to stay where it is.  dirt cheap, i
know, but i would have to make sure i could sleep inside the thing if i
bid on that, my wife would toss me out of the house.  can't say as i'd
blame her, either, the basement is -full- of old computers.

anybody have need of G3-450 iMacs, the fruity models, that are intact
except for the drive cage (and the drives) and the RAM?  RAM is fairly
cheap, but the disk carriers for these, as well as reasonably-priced
front-loading optical disk drives, are just about impossible to find.

i was gifted with ten all told, but the moron who gave them to me had
removed the disk carrier and then beat the whole thing with a hammer
rather than spending the time to wipe the drives as required by the
state.  (it's a state university, privacy act stuff, quite a pain in the
tail.)  he didn't even care that the optical drive (DVD/CD-R/RW drives!)
wasn't even required to be destroyed since the data is on the cd rather
than inside the drive....  (plus he sold the RAM he took out, 20 pieces
of 512MB PC133, for which i could have him fired and prosecuted, since
making a personal profit from state materiele is unlawful.)  (me?  i'm
GIVING them away, to underprivileged kids in the area, every one of them.)