[rescue] Sun Ultra 1 boot failure

Dimitar Vasilev dimitar.vassilev at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 07:35:58 CST 2006

> IMHO the chances of the latest OBP _causing_ a problem are very slight,
> and by having the latest OBP installed already, you won;t have to think
> about it again...
>
> I wonder, since the OBP update tool is a bootable image, can it be burned
> on to a CD-ROM and installed from there? And by extension, could I build a
> CD-ROM that has many different OBP images for various systems? Seems
> plausible, and could come n handy for anyone that does any serious amount of
> Sun system rescues. I currently have a Solaris boot HD with the latest OBP
> on it for one single platform on the shelf, and was thinking of ways to make
> it compatible with more platforms...
>
> Lionel

You can - should be the same as boot from disk.Try burning images in
different folders on the CD and then specifying
boot cdrom/platform/image-latest on the prom.
Sun says Flash Updates are no longer regularly produced on CD-ROM. The list
of CD-ROMs below is for historical reference. Flash PROM updates should be
acquired from the associated Flash PROM patches shown in either the Boot
PROM section or on the Boot PROM pages of individual Systems on
http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_private/Devices/Boot_PROM/BootPROM_Flash_Sun4u.html
?
which means there have been cd's for firmware.
As always spare some gunea pig machines and test on them first.
Best regards,

--
PP8P<P8QQ
Q PP0QP8P;P5P2

GnuPG key ID: 0x4B8DB525
Keyserver: pgp.mit.edu
Key fingerprint: D88A 3B92 DED5 917E 341E D62F 8C51 5FC4 4B8D B525