[rescue] Sun Ultra 1 boot failure

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Dec 3 07:17:33 CST 2006

>From: Charles Shannon Hendrix <shannon at widomaker.com>
>Date: 2006/12/03 Sun AM 02:59:54 CST
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Sun Ultra 1 boot failure

<snip>

>Do I really need to upgrade the OBP?

"Need to"? Probably not, but I would. Sun will likely never update the OBP of that machine again, and by doing it now, before you deploy this machine into production use, you will avoid any possible problems down the road.

IMHO the chances of the latest OBP _causing_ a problem are very slight, and by having the latest OBP installed already, you won;t have to think about it again...

I wonder, since the OBP update tool is a bootable image, can it be burned on to a CD-ROM and installed from there? And by extension, could I build a CD-ROM that has many different OBP images for various systems? Seems plausible, and could come n handy for anyone that does any serious amount of Sun system rescues. I currently have a Solaris boot HD with the latest OBP on it for one single platform on the shelf, and was thinking of ways to make it compatible with more platforms...

Lionel