[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Sep 30 10:28:41 CDT 2005

Mon, 26 Sep 2005 @ 16:03 -0400, der Mouse said:

> Maybe in most cases.  I recently had to work with Fedora and Red Hat,
> and I was unable to find any way to make ls sort names the way I'm used
> to, ie, simple machine collating order on the filename - it insisted on
> doing a case-folding alphabetic sort ignoring, possibly among other
> things, leading dots.  Worst of all, there is no option to fix it, or
> at least the manpage shows none.  (I loathe the colour goop too, but
> that at least is relatively easy to get rid of.)

That's your locale settings.

Plenty of other programs change their sort order if your locale is not
C, for example, maybe you have it set to en_US or some whatever is
common in Canada.

> Also a big annoyance is that bash doesn't let me do history recalls
> with ^P when my suspc is set to ^P, but that's a Linux problem only to
> the extent that Linux means bash (though that is a pretty big extent in
> practice).

Hmmm... I'm not sure I don't agree with bash's behavior here.  After
all, you are redefining what ^P is used for.

It seems bash would have to become context sensitive about when a key
sequence is used to get around this.  Not sure that would be a good idea
or not.

Of course, bash is not exactly the most well written shell out there.
Every benchmark it against others before?

Oh, and what is suspc?  I don't see that in the stty settings on my
Linux box.  Just susp and dsusp.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I want this Perl software checked for
viruses.  Use Norton Antivirus." -- Charlie Kirkpatrick]