[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Sep 26 13:06:01 CDT 2005

Fri, 16 Sep 2005 @ 17:17 -0700, Brian Howe said:

> I've worked with 6800s, E10Ks and E15Ks and they eat memory, boards,
> and CPUs quite rapidly... and these were not even the productions
> boxen under any kind of heavy load.

It's pretty sad when an expensive machine like that has less reliability
than my home-built PC.

I've had to take care of some Sun's that were about the most unreliable
computers I've ever had to use.

Does anyone have any insight into this?  Why is is happening?

Some of Sun's equipment is rock solid and runs literally years without
complaint, so why is it some of their stuff is so bad?

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["And in billows of might swell the Saxons
before her,-- Unite, oh unite!	Or the billows burst o'er her!" -- Downfall