[rescue] Obtaining Mac OS 9 Question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Sep 23 15:12:16 CDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> "old world" basically = NuBus, right?
>
> Or "old world" = pre-G3?

"old world" = toolbox in ROM.

Macs had OpenFirmware for as long as they had PCI slots, possibly even
before, but I've no NuBus PPC Macintosh to try.  However, they also had
the Macintosh toolbox and 68k emulator in ROM.  The "new world" Macs
have OpenFirmware in ROM, but load the toolbox and 68k emulator from a
file on disk called "Mac OS ROM" in Mac OS 8 and 9.  As OS X needs
neither the toolbox nor the 68k emulator (since all 68k applications
will need to run inside of Classic, anyway), OS X has no such file.

The iMacs and iBooks and Powerbook "Pismo" w/ Firewire and
Blue-and-White G3 were "new world".  The other G3s (beige G3 and older
PowerBooks) were "old world".

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "When we are young, wandering the face of the
Elgin, TX          (    earth, wondering what our dreams might be worth,