[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Peter abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Sep 22 14:24:50 CDT 2005

Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
[...]
> The mantras of CS these days seem to be:

... confused versions of real life.

>    "Performance doesn't matter"
>    "The user can always buy more hardware"
>    "Interpreted is better than compiled"
>    "Defer everything under runtime"
>    "Programmer time is more expensive than user time"

Mind if I offer my own versions based on a few years of experience?

"Programmer time is more expensive than computer time"
"Optimise for reduced latency over increased throughput"
"Don't consider optimising anything until you're used a profiler"
"Don't optimise anything that you're not reducing the algorithmic
complexity of"
"Don't use C when Perl will do"

(all of which are arguably the same rule)

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key
/:.*posting.google.com.*/HX-Trace:+j