[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 13:45:38 CDT 2005

On 9/21/05, Barry Keeney <barryk at chaoscon.com> wrote:

>   Too many kids go into fields they like without understanding
> the likely job market they'll enter with that degree.

I disagree, entirely.  A university education is not intended to
be trade school, though that is what everyone is trying to turn
them into it seems.  Universities and colleges are supposed to
be producing well-rounded individuals that can go into the world
and make their way, whatever field they choose, not prepare
individuals for a specific job in their chosen field.

People are talking about sophomores in HS needing to know
what career they are going into.  Easier to turn them into micro-
serfs that way, I guess.  It's very sad to me that people are so
discouraged from doing what they love and instead pointed at
chasing the almighty dollar.  It's also not surprising that
corporations are trying to put the burden of "skills" training on
colleges/universities so they don't have to spend the money
themselves.

But both notions completely ignore that labor statistics indicate
the majority of people will switch jobs 11 times in their lifetime
and will change complete careers at least 3 times.  (Although,
I've yet to find a source for that "statistic", I'll admit.)

The US feds, not feeling that they have enough control what
with NCLB, are now taking their misshapen ideas to the colleges
and universities in the US:

http://www.ed.gov/news/pressreleases/2005/09/09192005.html

=Nadine=