[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 20 22:03:59 CDT 2005

>From: Barry Keeney <barryk at chaoscon.com>
>Date: Tue Sep 20 15:30:43 CDT 2005
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Mainframe on eBay

>On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, velociraptor wrote:
>> On 9/20/05, William Enestvedt <William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I just look at my paycheck when people (try) to make
>> fun of my English degree.
>
>  Funny, most of the people I know with english degrees
>cry when they look at their paychecks :^)

Well, you should never confuse your major with your occupation - I have a humanities degree (essentially an English degree, but a little (electronic) music and (computer) art classes mixed in, and I never planned on "working" as a teacher or similar occupation... I just studied what I liked, then got a job in computers because the pay was so good (and I felt I had an aptitude).

I once had a college guidance counselor try and talk me out of an English degree - he said there was "nothing to do with one." I used my acquired skills to write a persuasive letter to the President of the college, and got him "b*tch-slapped" for his guidance... See, I found something to do with my degree ;^)

The things I got from my education were a critical eye and an effective way of writing - skills that have served me well in various fields...