[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at mendelson.com
Mon Sep 19 15:40:21 CDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 04:18:38PM -0400, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> MVS isn't actually my favorite OS.  It can get a little bloaty.  I
> prefer VSE.  Plus I am a whizz at assembler programming under VSE.

Me too, but my favorite coding enviroment was CMS under VM. I did two
projects, a on line phone directory in shared virutal memory, and an
online REXX debugger which with it's MVS support programs (phone
directory), ended up being over 60,000 lines of commented code.

I wrote it at the rate of 300 lines of debugged production code sustained
for over 6 months. I must admit it was around 1988-1989.

I also did a lot of code on a private (and never sold to anyone)
security system for MVS (predates RACF and the others). So much that
when I got a CD player with a drawer (my first had a "pop top"), I
always read the button as "open/close/eov".

If you remeber the adds for VM software, one of the things they mentioned
was "do you discuss writing channel programs at parties". From then on, we
did it just for the heck of it.

I haven't touched a mainfraime in years, and the last two years I spent
working (when I was working) on a handheld gaming device.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (077)-424-1667  IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Support the growing boycott of Google by radio users and hobbyists.
It's starting to work, Yahoo has surpassed Google.