[rescue] FreeBSD SPARC

Michael-John Turner mj at turner.org.za
Mon Sep 19 15:23:11 CDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 11:48:42AM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> Well, it's the only BSD that has SMP support for the sun4u architecture.
> At least, if NetBSD finally has usable SMP support (ie: runs threads on
> all processors), it's not advertised on the NetBSD/sparc64 web page.  It
> still feels like FreeBSD, which is to say it's only slightly less slimy
> than DeadRat, but the thought of an SMP BSD on 64-bit SPARC intrigues
> me.

Indeed, NetBSD/sparc64 doesn't yet support SMP. An SMP kernel still aborts
to the PROM when spinning up the non-boot CPUs. From what I understand,
this is being worked on, but I don't know of an ETA (and it certainly won't
be in 3.0 when it's released).

> [0] The system in question has two C3D framebuffers.  xorgcfg starts up,
>      displays windows, and then crashes in such a way that leaves the
>      console unusable.  It happened under both 5.4 and 7.0-CURRENT, with
>      Xorg built from 5.4's ports tree and -CURRENT's ports tree.

Does it work with a single framebuffer? FWIW, 3.0 will be the first NetBSD
release that has stable support for the Creator3D, but I don't know if
multihead is supported. I'm guessing FreeBSD uses Xorg on 64-bit SPARC?
(NetBSD is still using XFree86).

-mj
--
Michael-John Turner | http://weblogs.turner.org.za/mj/