[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Sep 19 13:34:29 CDT 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

> The characteristic required in the F50 is the secondary PCI bus.  Just
> make sure the 7043-150 has a secondary PCI bus, and plug it into one of
> those slots.

I believe both the -140 and the -150 have secondary PCI buses.  They're
connected to the system via a PCI-PCI bridge connected to the primary
bus.  Do the buses need to be peers, or will that work?

> Even on the F50, you have to plug into the secondary slots.

Odd.  Is the P/390 a bus-master or DMA-heavy device?  I'd thought that
it would be relatively well-behaved because it has separate memory.  Or
does the ARCTIC-960 card receive commands from the P/390 instead of the
host system?

BTW, this isn't exactly up your alley, as you're a mainframe guy, but my
new boss was the lead architect for the S/32, S/38, and RT/PC projects.
I definitely plan on picking his brain sometime. :)

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "When we are young, wandering the face of the
Elgin, TX          (    earth, wondering what our dreams might be worth,