[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Sep 19 11:36:36 CDT 2005

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:

>> I'd -love- to get my hands on a deskside multiprise, or even a crappy
>> little S/390 "integrated server".
>
> The IS/390 is nothing more than a P/390 (P/390E?) and a PC with
> ARTIC960 channel adapters built onto the motherboard.

Hmm.  That's it?  I guess it's the 100kg or so of black IBM enclosure
that makes it look impressive. :)

> You can put one together for not too much money nowadays.

I suppose it could be problem would be finding a system that's
appropriately OS/2-compatible, along with the software necessary to
drive the card.  Well, and a P/390.

Hmm.  Will the PCI 390 processor work with AIX?  It'd probably be a
faster and more palatable option for my -140 than Linux + Hercules,
which is what it's currently running, assuming I can scratch one up.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "When we are young, wandering the face of the
Elgin, TX          (    earth, wondering what our dreams might be worth,