[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Sun Sep 18 13:50:04 CDT 2005

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 11:10:02AM -0700, Isaac wrote:
>
>>Of course, their 6-year-old E4500's that run the databases are reliable
>>now, but there was that whole sordid ecache episode. I guess even good
>>hardware has its bad runs.
>
> My favorite machine that was ohno.mrbill.net for a while was a E3K with
> six 333Mhz CPUs and 3G of RAM.  Unfortunately, it took up too much rack
> space and used too much power (I blew the breaker for the rack once).

I still don't have a place I can really afford to run my E3K, which is
in a very similar configuration.  It might have been feasible here, had
we been able to get the racks down the basement stairs short of taking
out a wall.  But as it is, we can't afford the heat load in our living
space, or the power consumption (or the added consumption that soaking
up the heat load would entail).

It's frustrating to have such a nice machine sitting downstairs and not
be able to use it.  I'm considering seeing if I can work out a way to
get it into one of Freenode's colo cages as a Freenode server.

But maybe it's just time to sell it.  :p

 Phil Stracchino       phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
 Mobile: 603-216-7037         Landline: 603-886-3518