[rescue] Mainframe on eBay

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sat Sep 17 19:42:52 CDT 2005

On Sep 17, 2005, at 7:34 PM, alex at lava-net.com wrote:

> if your ups's use 12v batteries (I've seen some crappy ones that use
> 6v) then connecting a heavy-duty car (or larger...) battery will give
> you some really nice results.  It works best with older dummer ups's
> as some of the newer ones seem to think there's something wrong with
> the battery and won't power up.  I'm gonna dig up an old 1kva or >
> unit sometime and see how long a truck battery will run my microvax...
> On

I'd highly recommend _against_ this plan unless you have a metric
buttload of ventilation.

Why?  Any lead-acid battery, like an automotive one, gives off hydrogen
when charged.
Not a good gas to have around electricity.

Just my two-cents worth...

Mike Hebel
----
"Without balance and consistent growth the only option is to degrade.
There is no other solution." - Anonymous